Sergey I. Kabanikhin
Corresponding Member, RAS, Professor, Doctor of Science (Physics and Mathematics)
Phone: +7 383 330 8353
Fax: +7 383 330 6687
- Mechanics and Mathematics Department of the Novosibirsk State University (1975);
- Graduate School at the Computing Center, Siberian Branch, USSR Academy of Sciences (1978).
Basic Research Interests:
- Computational mathematics;
- Development, research and applications of numerical methods for solving inverse problems of mathematical physics.
Current and previous research activities:
- 2015 – present: Director, ICM&MG SB RAS;
- 2014: Acting Director, ICM&MG SB RAS;
- 2014 – present: Principal Researcher, Laboratory of Mathematical Problems of Geophysics, ICM&MG SB RAS;
- 2014: Deputy Director of Research, ICM&MG SB RAS;
- 2009 – 2014: Head of the Laboratory of Mathematical Problems of Geophysics, ICM&MG SB RAS;
- 1987 – present: Leading Researcher, Principal Researcher (since 2009), Sobolev Institute of Mathematics SB RAS, Laboratory of Wave Processes;
- 1990 – 2009: Leading Researcher, Sobolev Institute of Mathematics SB RAS;
- 1978 – 1987: Junior Researcher, Senior Researcher, Head of Research Group, Leading Researcher at Computing Center, Siberian Branch, USSR Academy of Sciences;
- 1978 – present: assistant, associate professor, professor, head (since 2014 ) of the Department of Mathematical Methods of Geophysics, Mechanics and Mathematics Department, Novosibirsk State University.
Academic Degrees and Titles:
- PhD in physics and mathematics, thesis title: "Some Inverse Problems for Hyperbolic Equations and Finite Difference Methods of their Study", thesis adviser: Corresponding Member V.G. Romanov (1978);
- Doctor of Physics and Mathematics, thesis title: "Projection Difference Methods for Determining Coefficients of Hyperbolic Equations" (1990);
- Professor (1993);
- Corresponding Member, RAS (2011).
Fields of Research:
- Inverse problems of geophysics, acoustics, ecology, and medicine;
- Ill-posed and inverse problems for differential and integral equations;
- Theory and numerical methods for solving inverse and ill-posed problems.
- numerical methods for solving inverse and ill-posed problems;
- geophysics, including seismics, electrical prospecting, gravity prospecting, and magnetic prospecting;
- processing of physical measurements, interpretation of data.
- Kabanikhin S. I. Projection-Difference Methods for Determining Coefficients of Hyperbolic Equations, Nauka, Novosibirsk, 1989.
- Romanov V. G. and Kabanikhin S. I., Inverse Problems of Geoelectrics, Nauka, Moscow, 1991.
- Romanov V. G. and Kabanikhin S. I. Inverse Problems for Maxwell’s Equations, Utrecht, The Netherlands, VSP, 1994, 249 p.
- Kabanikhin S. I. and Lorenzi A. Identification Problems for Wave Phenomena, Utrecht, the Netherlands, VSP, 1999, 342 p.
- Kabanikhin S. I., Satybaev A. D., Shishlenin M. A. Direct methods of solving inverse hyperbolic problems. 2004. VSP/BRILL, the Netherlands. 179 p.
- Kabanikhin S. I. Inverse and Ill-Posed Problems. Sibirskoe Nauchnoye Izdatel’stvo, Novosibirsk, 2008, 450 p.
- Kabanikhin S. I. Inverse and Ill-Posed Problems. Theory and Applications. De Gruyter, Germany, 2011, 459 p.
- Chairman, Academic Council, ICM&MG SB RAS;
- Member, Academic Councils, Sobolev Institute of Mathematics SB RAS and Mechanics and Mathematics Department of Novosibirsk State University;
- Chairman, Dissertation Council, ICM&MG SB RAS;
- Member, Bureau, RAS Department of Mathematical Sciences;
- Member, Presidium of SB RAS;
- Co-chairman, Program Committee of the annual international school-conference for young scientists “Theory and Numerical Methods of Solving Inverse and Ill-Posed Problems”, Novosibirsk, 2009-2018;
- Co-chairman, Program Committee of the international school-conference "Inverse Problems: Modeling and Simulation", Turkey, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016;
- Editor–in-Chief, international series of books "Inverse and Ill-Posed Problems";
- Editor–in-Chief, international journal "Inverse and Ill-Posed Problems" (Web of Science and Scopus);
- Editor–in-Chief, journal “Numerical Analysis and Applications" (Web of Science and Scopus);
- Member, Editorial Boards of journals “Open Applied Mathematics Journal", “Numerical Functional Analysis and Optimization”, “Siberian Journal of Industrial Mathematics”;
- Head, projects of the Russian Foundation for Basic Research;
- Academic Adviser of 19 Candidates of Science (later 8 of them defended their doctoral theses) and 4 Doctors of Science.
Major scientific results:
- development and justification of numerical methods for solving inverse problems of electrodynamics used in justifying a new method of electrical prospecting (RF patent 2062489) based on excitation and registration of unsteady electromagnetic fields;
- investigation of new inverse problems of geophysics, acoustics, electrodynamics, obtaining of theorems of uniqueness and stability of solutions;
- development and justification of new numerical algorithms for solving inverse problems of geophysics, acoustics, and electrodynamics; creation of corresponding software packages;
- investigation of optimization methods for solving inverse and ill-posed problems, obtaining of estimates of convergence rate;
- obtaining of estimates of strong convergence of gradient methods for solving inverse problems of acoustics, electrodynamics, and elasticity theory on the basis of estimates of conditional stability; this allowed introducing specific rules for terminating iterations depending on data errors;
- construction of multidimensional analogs of Gelfand-Levitan and Krein equations used to create a software package for numerically solving multidimensional inverse problems of acoustics and elasticity theory.
- 2017: teacher of mathematics, School of Physics and Mathematics, Novosibirsk;
- 1990 – present: Professor, Novosibirsk State University;
- 1978 – 1990: Associate Professor, Novosibirsk State University;
- 1977 – 1978: teacher of mathematics, School of Physics and Mathematics, Novosibirsk.
Scientific organization activities:
- Member of Specialized Dissertation Councils of the Institute of Mathematics, the Institute of Computational Mathematics and Mathematical Geophysics (ICM&MG), and the Institute of Geology and Geophysics of the Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences (SB RAS);
- Member of the Councils of Experts, the Russian Foundation for Basic Research (RFBR) on Earth’s Sciences and Informatics;
- Chairman of the Council of Young Scientists, Siberian Branch of the USSR Academy of Sciences (1985-1988).
Scientific and teaching activities abroad (1984 – present):
- Vienna, Innsbruck, and Linz Universities (Austria);
- Oxford, Cambridge, and Bristol Universities (England);
- Institute of Mathematics of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences (Bulgaria);
- Karlsruhe, Bayreuth, and Chemnitz Universities (Germany);
- Milan University; Florence University, and Institute of Global Analysis, Perugia University;
- Abai Kazakh National Pedagogical University, Al-Farabi Kazakh National University, Satbayev Kazakh National Technical University, Kazakh-British Technical University (Almaty, Kazakhstan);
- Vancouver University (Canada);
- Hangzhou, Beijing, Shanghai, Nanjing, and Tianjin Universities (China);
- University of North Carolina (Charlotte, USA);
- Ankara, Kocaeli, Izmit, and Fethiye Universities (Turkey);
- Institute of Geophysics (Prague, Bratislava, Czechoslovakia);
- Royal Institute of Technology (Stockholm, Sweden);
- Tokyo and Kyoto Universities (Japan).
19 PhDs and 8 Doctors of Science.
Author of 136 scientific publications including 8 books.
- Inverse and Ill-Posed Problems. Sibirskoe Nauchnoye Izdatel’stvo, Novosibirsk, 2009;
- Numerical regularization of multidimensional coefficient inverse problems. Abstracts of the International Conference «Marchuk Scientific Readings». Akademgorodok, Novosibirsk, Russia. June 25 – July 14, 2017;
- Numerical methods for solving inverse and ill-posed problems for elliptic and parabolic equations. Abstracts of the International Conference «Marchuk Scientific Readings». Akademgorodok, Novosibirsk, Russia. June 25 – July 14, 2017;
- Study of permittivity of borehole environment at the early stage of the formation process. Investigations of the Conditional ill-Posedness of Problems of Mathematical Physics. – Novosibirsk: Computing Center of the Siberian Branch of the USSR Academy of Sciences, 1989. pp. 40-59;
- Construction of a fundamental solution to a system of equations of elasticity theory. Siberian Electronic Mathematical Reports, Vol. 11, 2014;
- Singular decomposition in ill-posed problems. Textbook for institutes of higher education. Ust-Kamenogorsk, D. Serikbayev East Kazakhstan State Technical University, Novosibirsk State University, 2014;
- Algorithms and numerical methods for solving inverse and ill-posed problems. Monograph. Astana, 2012;
- Solution of the inverse problem of acoustics by the methods of Gelfand-Levitan and boundary control. Inverse Problems and Information Technologies, 2003. 2. No. 1;
- Inverse Problems of Geoelectrics, Moscow: Nauka, 1991. p.304;
- Finite difference regularization of a linearized inverse problem for a two-dimensional wave equation. Conditionally Well-Posed Problems. Institute of Mathematics. Novosibirsk, Siberian Branch, USSR Academy of Sciences, 1987;
- Inverse Problems of Electrodynamics. Monograph. Novosibirsk, Computing Center, Siberian Branch, USSR Academy of Sciences, 1984;
- On one statement of a two-dimensional problem for the equation of oscillations. Ill-Posed Mathematical Problems and Geophysics Problems. Novosibirsk, Computing Center, Siberian Branch, USSR Academy of Sciences, 1976.